WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
All Managers, All Officers
Global economy is well into its globalisation phase and the shipping industry is the leader here. Shipping staff are expected to co-operate, negotiate, lead, follow, understand, etc., across cultures, and more so, in the future. On the other hand, cultural differences are so wide that misunderstandings not only create inefficiencies resulting in safety risks, unnecessary expenses, waste of time, etc., but more importantly they can lead to disasters. It is then imperative that shipping staff are aware of the risks and furthermore know of relevant techniques to mitigate them.
2 Days / 12 Hrs
- STCW Model Training Course on Leadership & Teamwork (2013)
- TMSA 3& other Industry Requirements
- To explain what cultural awareness is and how it impacts operations
- To understand own culture
- To give examples of inherent cultural traits
- To explain relationamong inherent traits, attitudes & behaviour
- To understand differences in communication styles and the challenges
- To describe special care needed in cross-cultural communication, especially on-board ship
- To learn of proven strategies for working & communicating effectively across cultures
Course delivery in Greek/English while training materials in English.
A reflective learning approach is used where trainees are led through an experiential learning cycle as following: Getting involved with a concrete task; stepping back to reflect; create the theory; apply the rules; repeat if needed. This approach achieves higher learning efficiency, maximizes trainee participation and thus assist trainee satisfaction from the course.Video & case studies are used throughout. Customer-specific cases are welcome. Material from specific cultures (Indian, Chinese, etc.), will/may be used.